1) WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPETITION?
The Competition is open only to students who:
- have earned a bachelor’s degree
- are enrolled in a full-time, US-based MBA program
- have not previously completed an MBA degree program
- have at least 2 years of prior full-time work experience
- are age 18 or older
Current and former principals or employees of Bank of America Corporation and/or Emerson are NOT eligible to participate in the Competition, nor are students at Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of Management who are participating in the planning of the Competition (the “Owen Case Competition Leadership Team”). Participants in prior National MBA Human Capital Case Competitions are not eligible to compete in the Competition.
2) ARE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS PERMITTED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPETITION?
Yes, international students are permitted to participate in the competition provided they meet the criteria stated in the “who is eligible to participate in the competition” question above.
3) WHAT ARE THE TEAM COMPOSITION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE COMPETITION?
The team composition requirements are the following:
- Each team must have 4-6 MBA students:
- At least half of the team must be first-year students
- All students must have earned bachelor’s degrees
- Former Bank of America employees are NOT eligible to participate
- Former Emerson employees are NOT eligible to participate
- Part-time students and Executive MBAs are NOT eligible to participate
Once a team has become a Selected Team, any replacement personnel for a Selected Team must submit an application in accordance with the substitution process (Team FAQ #6) in order to be included in the Competition on such Selected Team, unless expressly permitted by Sponsor through written approval. Without approval, a Selected Team may be disqualified at the Sponsor’s discretion if all five members of the Selected Team are not present for either or both presentations.
4) CAN MULTIPLE TEAMS FROM MY SCHOOL APPLY?
Yes. However, if multiple teams from one school apply, only one team may be selected to participate in the competition and represent the school. Keep in mind that a student may only apply on one application. A student cannot apply on multiple applications.
5) I WANT TO PARTICIPATE, BUT NEED SOME TIME AND/OR HELP TO ROUND OUT A TEAM FROM MY SCHOOL. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
That’s great to hear! Please send us an email letting us know your interest, and we will work with you to help put together a team. Please note the team composition requirements outlined in the Team FAQ #3.
6) ONE OF OUR TEAMMATES WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE. MAY WE MAKE A SUBSTITUTION?
Teams were selected after review of individual and collective qualifications, and thus we discourage substitutions. However, if a substitution cannot be avoided, each team is allowed to request one substitution, but the substitute must meet the eligibility criteria. If you would like to request a substitution, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with this year’s application information for the substitute applicant.
The HCCC leadership team will review the application and will notify the team if the applicant is accepted to join the team.
7) CAN NON-TRADITIONAL MBAS APPLY?
Executive MBA programs are not considered “full-time” MBA programs by the National MBA Human Capital Case Competition, and thus, students enrolled in such programs cannot participate in the competition. Part-time MBA students are not eligible to apply. For other questions on team make-up or eligibility, please contact us.